Since we had such a great response last year, it is clear that it is time for...
It's a lot like bandombigbang (...which is only partially because our rules are adapted from theirs... >.>;; ), except smaller, and featuring 100% more Skippy content! Yay! \0/
And if this post seems a lot like last year’s... well, that’s because it is. But take note of the new dates! We’ve extended the schedule a bit, since we ended up needing an extension last year. :)
- The goal is to write a 10,000 word Skippy story. Everyone who completes the challenge on time will be rewarded with a soundtrack/fanmix made especially for their fic. 10,000 is the minimum requirement, but if you want to write more, the sky is the limit! Feel free to challenge yourself to write 20k, 30k, 40k, or even 50k+!
- Stories can be gen or slash. Crossovers with other fandoms are permitted, but the main focus and/or pairing must be Mike Carden/Kevin Jonas, or some variation thereof. Threesomes/moresomes and secondary pairings are welcomed, but Mike/Kevin must be the central focus of the story.
- Co-writing is absolutely allowed, and the collaborative wordcount minimum is still 10,000 words. You may also submit multiple stories, so long as they all meet the 10k minimum wordcount. So if you get inspired to write two SLB fics, or to write an SLB fic on your own and co-write a second SLB fic with another author, we will be excited to have them!
- Signups for writers open on Friday, March 2, and close on Friday, June 15. There is no stigma attached to dropping out before rough drafts are due, so if you think you want to participate, feel free to sign up and give it a shot! We do ask that you do not drop out of the challenge after your rough draft has been submitted, in fairness to our fanmixers.
- Signups for fanmixers open on Friday, March 2 and remain open until Saturday, June 16. Writers may also sign up to be fanmixers, but non-writers will be given priority when fic summaries are claimed by fanmixers.
-Rough drafts of fics are due on Saturday, June 16. This does not have to be the polished, beta’d, final version of the fic, but it must be generally complete and meet the 10,000 word minimum. Remember, this is the version of your fic that your fanmixer will have to work from! At this point you must also include a summary of your story for our fanmixers. This is not the final summary you’ll post with your fic, rather it’s a more detailed description of the story so the fanmixers can pick a story that inspires them.
- Fanmixer claims will begin on Sunday, June 17. You have the period from June 17 to Saturday, July 14th to have your fic betaed and edited, if it hasn't already been so; this is the period the fanmixers have to create a mix.
- On July 14th, all final fics and all fanmixes are due. If all fics and mixes are complete on this date, we will begin posting on Monday, July 16. If pinch-hits are needed, we will have a week for pinch-hitters to work; pinch-hits will be due Saturday, July 21, and we will begin posting on Monday, July 23.
- No story can be submitted for Skippy Little Bang that has previously appeared in any form or in any part online prior to the posting date. This is not a "timed" challenge like NaNoWriMo, though, so you can submit a fic you started working on prior to the sign-up date. As long as you haven't posted any part of it publicly, you're good!
- Skippy Little Bang does not have mandatory prompts you must write from. You may write any idea you choose! Canon!fics, AUs, sequels to already-published stories, new fics in an existing 'verse... Anything you can come up with is eligible, as long as it's Skippy! (Though if you want to write in a 'verse you didn't create, be sure to ask the creator for permission first!) If you're having trouble coming up with ideas, check out our "Prompts" tag for some ideas the community has come up with. You can also comment on this post and let us know you're looking for inspiration--someone out there probably has some to spare!
- This isn't a fic exchange, so there is no pressure about recipients. If you're interested in participating but are worried about not being able to complete the challenge, pulling out at any point before the June 16 rough draft deadline carries no penalties. Just give it your best shot!
SLB 2012 SCHEDULE:
Writer/Mixer Signups Open: Friday, March 2
Writer Signups Close: Friday, June 15
Rough Drafts Due: Saturday, June 16
Mixer Signups Close: Saturday, June 16
Mixer Claims Open: Sunday, June 17
Final Drafts/Fanmixes Due: Saturday, July 14
(Pinch Hits Begin: Sunday, July 15)*
Posting Begins: Monday, July 16
(Pinch Hits Due: Saturday, July 21)*
(Pinch Hit Posting Begins: Monday, July 23)*
*Pinch hit schedule is tentative - if all fics and mixes are done by the July 14 deadline, we will begin posting on schedule: Monday, July 16.
If you have any questions about the challenge which are not covered above, please ask them in the comments, and we'll try to answer them, and update this post! If you don’t want to post your question publicly for whatever reason, you can contact the 2012 SLB mods - solar_cat and sparrowsverse.
There will be signup posts for writers and mixers going up on Friday, March 2. Hope to see all of you in the comments!